We at Next Adventure believe the outdoors belong to everyone and that everyone should have equal access to the benefits of outdoor adventure. We recognize, specifically, that the outdoor industry and environmental conservation movements have a history of exclusion, and even blatant racism. We are specifically committed to breaking down historical and cultural barriers to the outdoors for all people.
Specifically, we are committed to:
- Lowering the often very high cost barriers to safely enjoying the outdoors.
- Proactively searching out and supporting groups whose missions are to diversify the outdoor community.
- Adding diversity to our staff by reaching out to, recruiting, and training folks from underrepresented groups.
- Promoting awareness of the fact that the very wild lands we love to explore were unjustly and brutally taken from indigenous peoples.
- Providing focused donation of money, products, and services to local groups serving BIPOC and LGBTQ+ outdoors people.
- Striving to create a workplace and retail environments that are safe and inclusive to ALL people.
- Continually invest in staff education and training around topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Supporting local groups and programs which work to end houseless in the Portland metro area.
- Actively learning about our unconscious biases and having uncomfortable conversations in order to reduce their impacts.
- Providing information, resources, and inspiration to historically underrepresented groups to increase their access to the outdoors.
- Searching out minority-owned partners in all aspects of our business.
- Amplifying the voices of underserved populations and people from the BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities through our social media channels, website, and in our stores.